Embark on a day trip to Wieliczka Salt Mines, one of the most-visited landmarks in Poland, and explore the subterranean salt-carved chapels and galleries with striking statues, chandeliers and altars.
Wieliczka Salt Mine Day Trip
Greet your English-speaking guide in the city center and climb on a comfortable air-conditioned coach. Admire the rural Polish landscape during the short ride to Wieliczka, located only 15km from Krakow.
Once you get to the UNESCO World Heritage site, follow your knowledgeable guide down 350 steps and into one of the oldest salt mines in Europe. Discover over 20 salt-chiseled rooms, some of which are beautifully decorated during the 3.5 kilometers (2.1 miles) walking-tour, as well as underground lakes, the tools and utensils used by the miners and curious salt-made sculptures and low reliefs.
While your guide explains how Wieliczka was transformed into a charming “underground village”, discover the Chapel of St. Kinga, a startling 54-meter temple decorated with large chandeliers and a beautiful altar.
At the end of the tour return to Krakow by bus.
Interesting facts about the Salt Mine
Although you will find out all about this unique masterpiece during the half-day trip, here is a list of curious facts about the mine:
- Created by nature 15 million years ago.
- The mine was opened in the thirteenth century and closed in 1978.
- It receives over one million visitors per year.
- Visited for the first time in the fifteenth century.
- UNESCO declared it a World Heritage site in 1978.
- The mine is over 300 kilometers long, with 3,000 chambers and 9 floors.
- The guided tour of the Salt Mine includes 378 steps.
Auschwitz and Salt Mine tour
To save money and visit Krakow's two unmissable tours on the same day, click here to book our combo tour: Krakow Combo: Auschwitz and Salt Mine Tour
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
|Adults||Children 5-16||Children under 5|
|English Language Tour||
English Language Tour
Children 5-16US$ 42.90
Children under 5US$ 26
The tour is exclusively in English.
Return transportation from Krakow by bus.
Professional English speaking guide while in the mines.
Admission to the Salt Mine.
Supplement to take photos during the guided tour (10 PLN).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - If i'm claustrophobic should I take this excursion?
A - The visit to the salt mines could be traumatic for someone with claustrophobia. During the visit there are chambers, narrow corridors, salt chapels, and lakes, climbing down stairs and taking elevators.
Q - Is it possible to take this visit with a person in a wheelchair?
A - The tour to the salt mines is not suitable for those in a wheelchair. There is a wheelchair accessible route, but this is different to the the regular salt mines tour.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).